08 May, 2008

Eternally Single

It's a year today that me and SB split up. I have been single for a year. Single. Something i thought i wanted when i left him after 5 years together.

Single. It's a shitty little word that is used to describe a person's current life status. Often you are asked by people of both genders 'Are you Single?' why not 'Are you successful?' or 'Are you a serial killer?!'

I had never really 'felt' single until the last few weeks, when it seems like my life has become focused on nothing more than finding the perfect man. I look for him everywhere, public transport, Martin Place, Food courts, shopping centres and of course bars. A weekend or night out is now planned around where all the hotties may be. Don't get me wrong it was fun for a while, but today it doesn't feel fun anymore. I feel terribly single. I am in a much better place then i was 6 months ago and genuinely feel like i have moved on, but i miss being with someone who knows everything about you, who loves you, who holds you, someone you can go home to. Everyone around me seems to have found their partner and i am tired of hearing the sentence 'you'll find someone.'

Maybe i wont, maybe i let go of my one shot of not ending up alone. Maybe he is not out there. Maybe i am destined to be eternally single?

Sy

6 comments:

Single Guy said...

I hear you. I was single for like four long years while everyone left and right was finding a partner...a lover and lifemate. But I think it was good to be on my own at least for a while. And the right and British person did come along and we were together and we broke up again and got back together. So you will find that special man or men and you will look back with fond memories to your single days. Hang in there...

singlebrokefemale said...

As someone who has been pretty much single for the past four years (apart from the occasionaly inappropriate fling..) I can say that I feel your pain and know exactly how that feels. However, I think it is sooooo valuable to be on your own and work out what you want, who you are and what's important to you without the distraction of having to focus on someone else. If you were still with your ex you wouldn't have made the decision to go to Australia and now you have done you are having a fantastic adventure and that kind of experience is invaluable in life. The right guy will come along but in the meantime it's important to remember that you are more than just someone's girlfriend and to put yourself first occasionally without havig to think about someone else. It's been hard for me to be single for as long as I have when I see all my friends pairing off but I refuse to settle for any old guy just so I can keep up with them. Being single can be great, you just have to learn to enjoy it and not to worry about what other people think. It's important to learn to love yourself enough so that you can be happy being single without feeling you're only half a person, because I promise you you're not!

Anonymous said...

I have a love hate relationship with being single - there are times I see real advantages and then there are times it's simply terrible!
Glad to have found your blog!

Single Guy said...

hey...what happened to you? did you go back to the UK?

Anonymous said...

AWWW...

Don't get discouraged, I'm sure there is somebody out there for you.

Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!