06 January, 2008

Officially unemployed

Oscar Wilde once said....

'The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one'

Ever since i left school at 16 i wanted to work, my teachers and parents all told me i 'needed' to go to university and get a degree if i wanted to make anything of my life. It just didn't feel right. I wanted to work. I wanted to climb up the career ladder all by myself and prove the stupid career adviser wrong.

And just to detour slightly how ironic is that job, you choose a career where you tell kids what they should be doing with their future career but how would they know - they just go with idealistic views??!!

Anyway back to the point.

I had some shit jobs. Working in a chip shop and looking a plastic bottles for 8 hours a day to name just two. However i made money, found out what things i was good at and not so good at and plodded on. At 23 years old i became the youngest Radio Sales Manager in the UK. I had a successful team under me, made a good bit of cash so i could afford life's little luxuries and was pretty damn pleased with myself. I loved my job, i can't understand people who don't want to work and hate their job. Just fucking go and do something else! So on Friday when my fantastic work mates threw me a lovely party, drank lots of Pinot Grigio and bought me a hat with corks on it, i felt a bit angry! I am unemployed for the first time in 10 years! Was i going backwards or forwards by giving up everything? Ahhhhh!!
That island down under better be worth it!!
Sy

2 comments:

Dervish said...

Being unemployed temporarily would give you some time to settle things in the island down under.
Wish u luck!!

Single Guy said...

You have your whole life to work...you seem pretty ambitious...I'm sure you'll make it work! Your hostel is across fro my office building so if you fancy lunch..lemme know. I work in the big brick building with the words TAFE NSW on george street. Welcome to Sydney!